Monday 12 August 2024

Australian Alps

Yesterday I started my latest trip by travelling from Canberra to Darwin via Melbourne.

The first flight was fantastic as we flew over the Australian Alps practically all the way, and there wasn’t much cloud. As it’s the middle of winter, and the height of the ski season, there was significant snow cover. I’ve never seen this before. Maybe it was always completely covered in cloud, maybe I’ve never taken this flight in winter, maybe I’ve been on the wrong side of the plane, maybe we took a different route.

First off, we saw the Snowy Mountains and the extensive areas of snow in New South Wales.









Then we passed over the Mount Hotham and Falls Creek ski fields. You can see Rocky Valley Dam, next to Falls Creek in the background, and the Hotham ski field in the foreground, with the skinny line of snow along Mount Feathertop that you can use to ski between there and Falls Creek. When I was cross country skiing, we often used to go to Falls Creek and walk over the dam wall to ski on the plains beyond the dam. Although Hotham had some cross country skiing, it was mainly for downhill skiers.





Then we saw The Bluff with snow along the top of its escarpment, as we neared Mount Stirling.







Then we passed very close to Mount Stirling and Mount Buller. Although I’ve skied more at Mount Stirling than anywhere else, I’ve never been to Mount Buller. It’s only for downhill skiers, and being so close to Melbourne, it’s possibly got more lifts than any of the other resorts, and is certainly completely covered in ski runs.





The rest of the trip was in darkness as I had four hours in Melbourne. However, the flight took half an hour less than it should have, so I was in bed before midnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment