Tuesday 3 October 2023

Indian Pacific

The next day was very hot again, and I started to be sick, so I stayed inside all day.

First thing next morning I was due at the station to catch the Indian Pacific to Sydney. This train goes from Perth to Sydney, and has been around since 1970, when the rail gauges were standardised so a train could complete the entire journey. 

Initially, each state chose a different width for its railway lines - 5 foot 3 inches in Victoria and South Australia, 4 foot 8 1/2 inches in New South Wales, and 3 foot 6 inches in Queensland. Originally, all states had agreed that 4 foot 8 1/2 inches would be standard, but New South Wales decided to go for 5 foot 3 inches instead. South Australia and Victoria then ordered tracks and carriages for the larger gauge so they’d match New South Wales. However, New South Wales changed their minds and opted for the original 4 foot 8 1/2 inches, not having actually ordered equipment. As a result, trains had to stop at borders until recently and Albury ended up with one of the longest platforms in the world so they could accommodate both trains. I remember as a child walking along this platform at midnight to continue our journey.

As I was sick, I asked if I could stay in my cabin, and have the bed down, so I could sleep. Occasionally I woke, saw some scenery, took a picture, and went back to sleep again. Shortly after we left Adelaide the desert started again. By the time we got to Broken Hill, we were in country with no hills (people regularly drive a short way from Broken Hill to see the curvature of the earth because it’s so flat).







Broken Hill is named after the hill there that’s the highest lode of silver, lead and zinc in the world. It’s one of the larger towns in inland Australia. We stopped there for a few minutes to change drivers.



After that, it was dark. By the time it was light again, we were out of desert country. I didn’t manage to take any decent photos, as I guess I was shaking from being sick, so they were all blurry. So that’s the end of the trip. When I did a RAT I was positive for covid.

It was a fantastic experience. I saw more than I expected and learnt more than I expected. Everything was excellent. I’m happy that I visited the Adelaide Parklands. The accommodation in Adelaide was contactless, and I’m fairly confident that I didn’t pass my illness onto anyone because I didn’t actually mingle with anyone after I got it. I originally intended to do some tours from Broome and Darwin, but I suspected it would be a bit too hot for me, and that was a good call. I can go back and see the other places if I want too.

No comments:

Post a Comment