Monday 12 October 2015

One Too Many Screws

Today I decided to go to Monument Valley, and hopefully another park.

I didn't say but yesterday I was in New Mexico, which is a very poor area of the US - including mobile home parks... 

Monument Valley is in the Navajo Reservation - possibly on the other side to where I was. New Mexico has enormously wide roads that are slightly under-maintained. As soon as I got to the reservation, the road narrowed to one lane in each direction. Going into Arizona was obvious, as the road suddenly became better. Monument Valley is almost exactly on the border of Arizona and Utah. After that border the road was being made (I missed the turn off, as I thought the signs were part of the border and roadworks), and one side of the road was missing for the next 11 miles! There was a half a mile queue waiting their turn at each end of the roadworks.

As well as this, my car found a screw on the road, so I needed to have a tyre fixed.

All in all, I was several hours later getting to Monument Valley than I expected.

But Monument Valley is well worth it. It has been used in many westerns. I didn't see any cacti there. There were cacti in California and Bryce Canyon, but I don't think I have seen any since. The wait for the one lane that was open had some benefits, as the scenery on that part of the road is similar to the scenery in the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment