Tuesday 21 August 2018

Back to Newfoundland

This morning I left Red Bay, but first I decided to go to the top of Pigeon Hill. It was a board walk the entire way (as are most paths around here) because the plants are so fragile - it takes years for them to grow, and the tundra around Red Bay is mainly mosses and associated small plants. The boardwalk says it’s 862 steps at the bottom, but it gave a superb view of Red Bay and the coastline in the other direction. The boardwalk went past Captain Kidd’s pond which is supposed to have his pirate treasure.

I went back along the coast and visited the L’ance au Loup museum which includes a collection of artefacts from the 7000 year old gravesite I visited on the way.

When I got to the ferry, I had 45 minutes to spare, so I visited the nearby waterfall (time is tricky here because it is Quebec but the ferry runs on Labrador time which is one and a half hours later, so the car GPS was telling me I had over 2 hours before the ferry departed).

I visited the museum at Bird Cove at Plum Point where they have an incredible display of items found across the road - ranging from fossils the same age as the Flinders Ranges, through 4000 year old Inuit tools and other indigenous artefacts through the Basque fishermen and modern day inhabitants.


Lastly, I visited Flower Cove and the Thrombolites.

No comments:

Post a Comment