Friday 31 August 2018

From End to End

I have now started at one end of the Trans Canadian Highway (Victoria, BC), and gone to the other end (St. John’s, Newfoundland). The fact that the entire middle is missing is immaterial.

Quidi Vidi is a small port at St. John’s. The oldest house in Newfoundland is here. The entrance to its harbour is extremely small. It’s known as an artist colony and the best brewery.

I walked there from where I was staying, and then continued up to Signal Hill, where forts were progressively built by the English and the French as they took it away from each other over the years. This is also where the first Trans Atlantic telegraph was sent - the letter S in Morse code.

You can see just how narrow the entry to St. John’s harbour is.

I went to the museum and saw a lot of stuff I’d already seen on my travels, but the Innu clothing and the different kayaks from the different cultures were interesting. From the museum I could see Signal Hill.

After that, I came back to where I’m staying via the Parliament House, Government House and the Commissariat.

There are a lot of multicoloured houses jammed together in St. John’s.



No comments:

Post a Comment