Thursday 23 August 2018

Point au Choix

Point au Choix is a place where everyone settled. A bloke was digging to build a cinema in the middle of town when he struck human bones. It was a graveyard of the first people known in this area - the only one ever found, with over a hundred ritual burials.



After that, many more sites, of all the peoples who lived in Newfoundland have been found on this small peninsula. No other cemeteries, but houses... I took several pictures of different sites. They’re not interesting, just depressions in the ground, but it’s a very exciting place.

After that, I stopped at the Arches - dolomite rocks shaped by the sea.

Next I visited Green Point, the other geological site that makes Gros Morne a world heritage area. The fossils in these cliffs show the transition between the Cambrian and the Ordovician periods so well that it is the geological benchmark site for the transition.

Then I visited a lighthouse, and took pictures of the scenery. The last picture is from where I’m staying with the mantle tablelands showing.

It was very windy and it rained most of the day, so the pictures are a bit bleak. Tomorrow I head east, and will bid farewell to the West Coast of Newfoundland - that’s why I backtracked to Gros Morne today.







No comments:

Post a Comment