Thursday 15 February 2024

A walk in the Rainforest

Today I started by trying to find the sunrise. I thought that if I walked to the point near where I’m staying, I could possibly see sunrise. It wasn’t as good as I thought it might be.



While I’ve shown you some of the workers accomodations, at the point there are a lot of older houses that were built for the white people who worked at various supervisory positions.



Then I went for a walk along boulder track. As the track goes along the coast where the blowholes are, I was expecting it to include a lot of coastal scenery, and blowholes making noise. Instead, I entered a rainforest track, with enormous numbers of red crabs.



It was difficult to avoid standing on the crabs, and as they burrow, it was also difficult to avoid the soil below my feet disintegrating from time to time. I guess this was why it took a lot longer to walk it than I had planned. In fact, I turned around when I finished my first bottle of water.



The track was beautiful, and I could see boulders and cliffs amongst the rainforest. There was a lot of noise, from the different endemic birds, the blowholes nearby, the cicadas and the crabs shuffling away from me. The way back was much faster as most of the red crabs had gone into their burrows for the day.








There were some other animals on the trail besides the red crabs.







This evening I saw the last sunset I’ll see at Christmas Island, as I’m leaving tomorrow. It’s been a wonderful time seeing a lot of what the island has to offer.



No comments:

Post a Comment