Friday 9 February 2024

Change of island

Today I have spent the day going from Cocos (Keeling) Islands to Christmas Island. As it’s deemed to be an international flight, you are supposed to check in two hours prior to departure. The baggage counter opened at 10:20am. The airport itself is still closed - you line up along the side of the airport. Then comes a wait until noon when they open the doors to the departure area. During this time you can order a pizza in the cafe outside, which will be delivered to you in the departure lounge. They put all the pizzas through the X-ray machine before they open it to passengers.

It’s a one and a half hour flight, and there’s a half hour time difference. 

When we landed I was on the wrong side of the plane. When we left Cocos (Keeling) Islands today, this is what I saw.



And this is Christmas Island.
You can see how different they are.

I don’t know how I managed it, but there are two things Christmas Island is noted for - Chinese new year and the red crab migration. They close a lot of roads for the red crabs. All those roads are closed, and the Chinese new year festivities start tonight.

And I managed to see the opening ceremony.




And a red crab, as I got out of my car.





No comments:

Post a Comment