Saturday 3 February 2024

Coconut Forests

Overnight and this morning it rained. It is the rainy season, so what else would you expect?

Anyway, I decided to go out early and take pictures of land crabs because I figured they’d be out in the rain. And they were! Unfortunately, I took my water camera and all the crab pictures were completely out of focus. But it was excellent walking along the road seeing all the crabs.

I went back to my lodgings, changed and went to the lake. I took my phone because it was no longer raining. 

The Cocos (Keeling) Islands are unique in that they’re on two major bird migration flight paths - the East Asian-Australian flyway and the Indian flyway. At this time of year birds should still be nesting on the islands, but, of course North Keeling Island is where they tend to nest because it still has native vegetation and no humans and the feral animals they’ve brought. However, birds do also nest at the fresh water lake that’s located on West Island (where I’m staying). There’s a path through the coconut forest to the lake, and a bird hide at the lake.

There were lots of crabs on the way, but since I’d already photographed them, I didn’t take any pictures. The path narrowed, and then I came to the lake.


Unfortunately, there weren’t any birds. On my way out I saw a hermit crab - a fair way from shore, where they normally reside.



Then I visited another beach. At most beaches there is a tub of emergency supplies including a radio phone.




There were lots of hermit crabs here, hiding in the shade of the shelter.

I was really interested in the tracks they left underneath the picnic tables in the shelter.


No comments:

Post a Comment