Saturday 3 February 2024

The best laid plans

Today I intended to visit Direction Island, rated Australia’s best beach in 2018. I ordered a special picnic lunch, which was delivered at 9am, so I had plenty of time to drive to the ferry after sorting out my stuff so I could carry it all. You are supposed to drive at no more than 30 kph in the town, and 50 kph on the rest of the island, and the jetty is about 10 minutes drive away, with a 5 minute walk along the jetty. There was a convoy of five cars going to the jetty. After I parked my car a kind person offered to take the bags of those who were walking, as he was driving along the jetty to the ferry. Unfortunately, he kept my water in his ute and just dropped off my bag, so I had no water to take to Direction Island. Some people tried to get my water but had no luck. So I didn’t go. Hopefully I’ll go on Thursday when the ferry next goes there.

So I decided to see if there were any more tours available while I’m here. The answer was not a one! This is the low period for tourism here. I’d guess that there aren’t more than 20 tourists in the entire atoll.

Then I decided to snorkel at the Scout Park, which also has a beach with coral and is very close to an island you can snorkel around. It’s a beautiful place. Even the road to it is beautiful.




 

However, I decided the current was too fast, since I was by myself - the tide was coming in too rapidly. There were lots of fish and some coral right at the beach. I even saw sea cucumbers even though I didn’t go in very far at all.

I went further along the road to the yacht club, but that beach was all sand, so I didn’t go in. It was also completely deserted.

 
Both beaches are pretty iconic tropical south sea island beaches. I was glad I’d visited them, and intend to visit the scout park beach again.







No comments:

Post a Comment