Tuesday 13 February 2024

Dolly Beach

When I saw the sign at the roundabout yesterday, I initially assumed it couldn’t possibly be my camera. However, there aren’t many people on the island at the moment who could have lost a camera, so even though I’d lost it at sea, it was worth checking out. Both today and yesterday were public holidays for Chinese New Year, so I wasn’t surprised when the police station was shut when I went there yesterday. However, this morning I went, and IT WAS MY CAMERA! So I got it back, even though I lost it at sea. This is a miracle.

Today the road to Dolly Beach was open (half of the roads are still closed), so I was taken there. The road through the jungle was a serious 4wd road, with deep puddles and lots of variation in the level of the different sides of the road. We then took a boardwalk to the beach. One part had a fair number of red crabs.



Later, we saw blue crabs.



The jungle was very attractive.





When we reached the beach, I wasn’t surprised that it was voted the eighth best beach in Australia a few years ago. There’s coral, and a beautiful pool surrounded by basalt, so it’s often calmer than the rest of the beach (the beach was quite calm anyway).



But the chief attraction of the beach is the robber crabs that are the largest in the world.





It also has hermit crabs that are a lot smaller than the ones on Cocos (Keeling) Islands, and aren’t orange.



I spent the rest of the day resting, then went out to diner at the only food place open tonight (most shops have been closed for the four days, and finding food has been an interesting puzzle), and took your daily sunset photo.



No comments:

Post a Comment