Wednesday 8 June 2016

Ferry

It would be good if I had read my schedule correctly. An hour makes a real difference when you are getting up at 4am. However, at least I was early to the ferry, rather than late! Of course, it was already light, but as I am much further south than I have been, dawn occurs here around 4am. And when I got my camera out I noticed the battery was just about to give up, so I only took a few photos. These were before we left.

I was taught a very important thing by a seven year old - cruise ships have white hulls whereas ferries have dark hulls, so my picture yesterday includes a ferry. Cruise ships are more special than ordinary ferries. The seven year old was also very good at seeing humpback whales, so we saw at least two. One was right beside the ferry. On the bus coming to the lodge other passengers complained that they saw none - they obviously weren't in our part of the boat where three of the kids were vying to point out things near and far.

I got a close look at the making of a Raven button blanket, as one woman was finishing one off for her husband for the festival at Juneau. She showed me the various kinds of buttons she uses. Asian mother of pearl is inferior as it isn't as thick.

My trip is almost over. I am in Glacier Bay national park, where I stay two nights, and I only have three more hotels to go - in Sitka, Wrangell and Vancouver. Of course, I will have a cabin on the ferries for four nights as well, but that is it. The ferries have no wifi, and it is only available in the lounge area here, so the blog may be a bit sporadic. Where we landed was very flat.




No comments:

Post a Comment