Saturday 4 June 2016

Second location in Victoria

Yesterday I changed to a B and B. As I said, I accidentally booked the wrong hotel initially, so when I extended my stay here, I decided to go somewhere else. I didn't have much choice because I had left it late (I was deciding whether to stay). It is called Trutch Manor, and, apart from being a much longer walk to the Clipper to Seattle, it has everything I originally wanted. The area is full of grand Edwardian houses (it is between the legislative building and government house), most of which appear to have been changed to appartments. The owner has collected an enormous amount of period stuff, generously distributed it into the suites. The dining room is opulent, and I had my orange juice in that crystal glassware with pink colouring. My suite is meant for one, but it includes a full kitchen, as well as the areas in the pictures.

I returned the car this morning, as I was too tired to do any driving today, and I got lost on the way, so I returned it late. However, they didn't charge me for an extra day. The place was very busy, and one woman had money problems, so she couldn't use her credit card. The person at the desk rang the other car hire companies and found one that would accept her, then drove her to the other car hire place. I was amazed, but Canadians are genuinely nice people. 

Most of the people were hiring a car to go to the Bluchart gardens, when you can get a bus there, or go with the tour bus. Either is cheaper than hiring a car, and probably quicker (especially given the length of the queue). I guess I will have to go there tomorrow as it will be my last full day in Victoria. Both busses leave on the hour from just about the same place, but the public bus starts at 11am on Sunday while the tour bus starts at 9am every day, so I guess it depends when I get there which one I take. I also should see the castle and government house, since they are so close.

No comments:

Post a Comment