Tuesday 7 June 2016

Leaving Victoria

I didn't think I would write this post, as yesterday was just going to Seattle, but I have a few pictures.

As promised, here is a photo of the Canadian answer to an Eskimo Pie.

In 1966, totem pole artists were asked to create totem poles for the highway from Victoria to Port Hardy. This was fantastic, as the work was done by the last generation of carvers who had learnt in the traditional manner. They were asked to create a bear, and whatever else they wanted on their pole. I saw the Duncan pole on the highway.

And this before leaving Victoria, I saw a similar pole in Victoria, which I think is the Victoria pole. They were all valued by their communities, and refurbished a few years ago.

On the way to and from the Butchart Gardens, we saw Mount Baker, and we also saw it on the ferry.

No comments:

Post a Comment