Monday 25 September 2017

Bishop's See

I landed in Narsarsarq, and from here I will visit a few Viking ruins (one of many reasons that I chose this trip), the first being Garda, the archdiocese and religious capital of Viking Greenland.

I have gone crazy with photos today, but Greenland is very photogenic, and I saw more than I expected. Firstly, it snowed overnight, and I took a photo from the hotel of the Arboretum.

I was picked up and taken to Itilleq, and walked along the King’s path to Igakiku, where Garda is. It started to snow and by the time I got there it was snowing hard. The ruins are amazingly complete, considering the locals used some of the stone for building their houses, before they were told to stop. There was the bishop’s residence, the cathedral and other assorted buildings including cow barns for over 100 cattle! After I had lunch it stopped snowing and I could see the views around the town. We went back to the boat, and they gave me a cruise up the fjord to a glacier. As we arrived back for the day, I noticed two waterfalls high above us.


A truely amazing day!













No comments:

Post a Comment