Saturday 9 September 2017

Finally Some Waterfalls

But you need to wait!

Still in the UNESCO area, there is another geothermal place called Seltun. One of the early exports from Iceland was sulphur, for gunpowder, and it was mined here. I took several pictures to give you an idea, but the site is big.

Next, I went to Hveragerdi, another geothermal area. This town has sprung up around their geothermal area, and has harnessed it for their advantage - although not always! They used to put all their rubbish into one mud hole. One night it exploded, and covered the town in rubbish. I think they stopped using mud holes for rubbish disposal after that. The geothermal park wasn't as impressive as either place I had already been, so I didn't take pictures of that, but you can boil yourself an egg in the "cooking pot" hole. They give you a stick with a bit of string off it, with a net on the end, with the egg in it - just like a fishing rod. While I was organising to have one of these, another couple came in. Of course, they had to do it too. While he was putting his egg into the pot, his string detached from the rod, and they had all sorts of trouble trying to get it out.

There are many greenhouses at Hveragerdi, but they also have a waterfall. Because it was from a thermally heated spring, it never froze, so there used to be a woollen mill on the stream.

Next I went to what seems to be the most photographed Waterfall in Iceland - the Seljalandsfoss. It is very close to the coast. I stopped on the road and took pictures in both directions. There were an enormous number of people at it (they were lining up to go behind it), and it started to rain, so I didn't get out of the car.







No comments:

Post a Comment