Monday 18 September 2017

Seals

Iceland is definitely closing down after the end of summer.

Today started with a tour of the Vatnsnes peninsula which is also the home of the largest seal colonies in Iceland. There are also eider ducks on the peninsula. The seafood place wasn't really open, but the seal museum was, and definitely worth a visit. The peninsula also has another troll. The poor trolls of Iceland all get turned to stone in the ocean, and this one is no exception. Hvitserker wanted to tear down the bells of the local convent.

I was then going to the replica Viking longhouse of Erik the Red. However, the gps couldn't find it, so I discovered that there was a cheese producer and the best ice cream in Iceland nearby. When I arrived, the cheese shop was shut for winter, but the ice cream place was open, and I recommend it!

I finally located the longhouse - 11km down a dirt road - but it was closed. At least I could see the outside. Then I went down the coastal road to Stykkisholmer where I will stay the night. I did see some bitumen today, but the vast majority was dirt, and it was raining most of the day, so I'm pretty tired tonight.







No comments:

Post a Comment