Saturday 16 September 2017

Small Things

Today I must have seen the smallest named waterfall in Iceland. It is at the end of a long wide canyon  (the Asbyrgi canyon) which was thought to be a result of seismic activity, but was later found to be a river that relocated. The river left an enormous island in the middle of its valley.

Next I visited Hljodaklettar echoing rocks and saw some of the incredible basalt formations there. I took a picture of the river valley as well.

I followed the road to the Godafoss Waterfall, where the chieftain who decided that Iceland should be Christian threw his images of the Viking gods. 

By this time it was raining hard, so when I arrived in Akureyri, I wasn't interested in wandering around the most northerly botanical garden in the world. I found that the Museum of Small Things (25km down the valley) was having a special  day, with Icelandic pancakes! The local women's group had a special day, with a very knowledgable guide available at the nearby turf church (one of only six remaining in Iceland). It is still used as the local parish church, and is the largest remaining. The local women had woven the floor rugs and embroideries to match an old Danish alter piece. The pancakes were good. The museum was the collection of a woodworker who restored a number of old buildings in Iceland. He developed each display while he was still alive. It was fantastic!

When I arrived at the campground, another of the enormous vehicles that the Swiss bring over was gracing the entrance. I thought I'd show you just what monsters they bring.












No comments:

Post a Comment