Saturday 29 September 2018

Citadel

Today I spent most of the day trying to find the entrance to the citadel. I started at the Plains of Abraham, where the final battle between the English and the French occurred. It is a huge area, with undulating ground above the escarpment.


In the museum they had an excellent explanation of the entire war, including the various uniforms worn by the English and the French, and much else besides.



The citadel was next to the museum, but no entrance, so I went along the governors walk, which goes between the ramparts of the citadel and the escarpment. But that lead me to the chateau (which was built by the railway to encourage tourism to Quebec - it’s the most photographed hotel in the world) and down many steps.


When I turned around, there was the citadel! So I went back up the hill, found the entrance and took a tour (mandatory since it’s an army base). The Governor General of Canada has a residence there.



More importantly, the French bastion is still there.


I came out, and saw various parts of the original city wall, and the basilica.




No comments:

Post a Comment