Wednesday 12 September 2018

Water and Mud

Lunenberg is a World Heritage site because it is the best surviving example of a planned British Colonial settlement in North America. It has a lot of old houses in it, and they have really gone to town with the paint. It’s also on the sea, and they have several sailing ships that you can take tours on. It’s also where I stayed last night.

I made a detour on my route to see the Bayof Fundy again. First, I stopped at a wharf (the sign says No Diving), which really shows how far out the tide goes. Last night, the tide was high, and up to the top of the wharf. Next, I visited Lawrence house, where a ship builder and sailor lived. The ship was built out the front (where the wharf now is).

I then finally found the Tidal Bore Museum, which is on Cobequid Bay, and is located at the actual point where tides are highest. It is next to where one bridge was replaced by another, and you can really see how the tide has eaten into the bridge support.

I went west, to the other side and saw a place where tides have little impact, even though it’s only 50km away.

Then I reached Cape Breton Island. It’s beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment