Monday 3 September 2018

Rigolet

From Happy Valley-Goose Bay to Rigolet the ferry goes up the  Hamilton Inlet to the ocean. 

Like all the coastal towns, Rigolet has a long history of being an Inuit settlement, then having Basques visit each year for the whale season before Britain or France decided to settle. Here, French settled in 1743, but the English took over in 1763. There have been over 100 archeological digs around Rigolet, and they have found various different Inuit occupation, back 6000 years.

There are two museums at Rigolet - one about the Hudson Bay company and their activities in the area (this was the original Hudson Bay Company building).  Upstairs it still has the fishing gear cubbies that each family used, with their names engraved on the wood.

The other is a museum of local history (a replica of the home of the store manager of the Hudson Bay Company).


There was a lady on the boat from Happy Valley-Goose Bay who makes stuff to sell in the craft shops. I asked her to make me a bowl, and when we came back she had it for me. She also drove me to the start of the boardwalk, which is 8km long. 

It goes along the shore and had wonderful views. 

After a while, it had a lookout, so I went up there. 

Unfortunately, the ship horn sounded while I was on my way back (it sounds half an hour before the ship goes), and I thought I wouldn’t be back in time, but a nice person gave me a lift.




No comments:

Post a Comment