Sunday 8 May 2016

Glaciers

Haines has this museum.

The Haines road is supposed to  have more than 100 glaciers, and I believe them. Firstly, the Chilkat River is a bald eagle preserve, and although I saw a few of them, I was unable to photograph them.

 It really gets serious at the border crossing. I think the Jarvis and the Buckwheat glaciers are in the background.

I met a contingent of bicyclists at the highest point. There were at least 10 more in twos on the road. I wouldn't be doing it, especially as I saw one black bear and a grizzly on the road.

There were more glaciers when I turned onto the Alaska Highway. After a while I came to Kluane Lake, the largest in the Yukon, and to Deception Bay where I'm staying tonight. 

The road tomorrow will be slow, as they're remaking it. There is permafrost so the RV park still has no water, and has only just opened at all. The next one open is at Tok, which will be a long drive tomorrow given the conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment