Friday 6 May 2016

No Bears

Today ended much better than I thought it would. At the campground last night, I was told theFirst  People's museum was now open even though their brochure said it wouldn't open until June. It opens in June, but I saw what was there. It was a bit disappointing as everything was from at least mid 1900s, but it was interesting, and the person who begrudgingly let me in thawed out and gave me some excellent advice.

It was raining when I left. The travel agents highly recommended the road to Skagway (as did the museum lady) - this and the road between Lake Louise and Jasper are the only two roads that have been recommended. Unfortunately, the rain got worse, and the last place I saw at all well was at Marsh Lake.

Then the weather got worse, until I was driving through snow falling rapidly in whiteout conditions. Needless to say, the scenic beauty was hidden. US Customs pinched my red peppers, tramped mud through my van (which I swept this morning), and told me it was predicted to be worse tomorrow! Skagway is a tourist town with lots of twee shops, two totally useless petrol stations (one wouldn't take my moneand had no human to sort things out, and the other was too small for an RV), and two unpleasant looking campgrounds.

So I decided to go back - if tomorrow was going to be worse I mightn't make it through the snow.  But things started to look better.  The road out of town was more visible.

There was no snow, and the rain started to ease, and the cloud lightened. And the views became spectacular.

I particularly liked Eemerald Lake - taken from the same spot in two directions.

I reached Whiteehorse, and the information centre was still open, so I could find a campground (I had seen five that were still closed), as my GPS didn't know any campgrounds closer than Alaska.My campground tonight is in a Birch forest, at a hot spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment