Tuesday 31 May 2016

Victoria

I decided to go to Victoria - Vancouver - Seattle for the week I had nothing planned. I want to laze about a bit, because the cold is still running me down.

At least I booked the right ferry, and got to Victoria! I read the bus schedule wrong and decided I needed to get a taxi to the Clipper terminal, when the light rail would have got me there on time. I booked the wrong hotel, so where I am staying isn't close to downtown or the ferry, doesn't have breakfast included, doesn't have guest laundry facilities and is much more expensive than the one I had decided to book. It is a very nice corner room, overlooking the harbour, with a balcony on one wall and a bay window on another.

Leaving Seattle we saw Mount Rainer overlooking the whole of Seattle - sorry that it is yet another crummy picture.

When we reached Victoria, the customs guy took one look at the large box of tissues and the couple of used ones I had and declared that I was infectious, and he wasn't processing me, so I was sent to another room. The guy I got wanted to know how much alcohol I had (as I was Australian he assumed I had some), and asked me how I could be Australian with none. He couldn't work out why I seemed to be going round and round in circles.

Fishermans wharf is nearby, and is made up of floating houses. One of them was an ice cream shop with an enormous queue. I had fish and chips from a highly rated fish and chip shop, which had some of the best fish and chips I have had in a long time.

On the way to Fishermans Wharf I saw this church.

Victoria has a lot of pickle boats that look like a combination of a bathtub and a W class tram. These are the yellow ones used as taxis. Others are green and are ferries, but they are all about the same size.



No comments:

Post a Comment